Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My experience as a Harrah's Gladiator......

This interview process is new to me..... its not the typical go in, interview with the manager, get hired, shake hands and make your way into a job that you hopefully find rewarding and enjoy.... Harrah's has developed a more competitive system.... which is interesting and semi-nerve shattering.........

So here is my tale of being a Harrah's Gladiator....... told in story form.... hopefully some of you are amused.... and the others of you that are not...... LAUGH ALREADY GOD DAMN IT!.....


I awoke in a room of chairs....... small, cramped, and uncomfortable for a man of my size....... There was lots of empty seats.... I noticed what an uncomfortable room this is...... with propaganda being shown for your future masters trying to encourage and motivate you to fight bravely and entertain the crowds, everyone with a look of an uncomfortable ease on their face..... trying to look happy to be there.... but knowing that they would be called to duty fast enough..... one after another the people that sat around me were called into action in the arena..... As I sat and waited my turn I could feel my mouth dying out in nervous anticipation, I knew that I was as good if not better than anyone in this room..... but its the mental mind game of sizing up your competition..... knowing what move you were going to use here to counter their incoming attack...... and where you knew you you could benefit from your foes over confidence and land that shot that would allow you to fight another day.....

Finally my name was called, I steadied myself and walked tword the light at the end of the tunnel..... I got to the doorway and stepped through.... The light of the sun was bright.... I entered the arena realizing I was only facing one foe..... She wished me luck and combat started...... She fired barrages of attacks both big and small, feeling me out and looking for my responses..... I answered every barrage with counters and let loose a few salvos of my own... This went on for 20 mins..... back and forth, neither of us gaining a solid footing and the shields clashing was all for naught.... at the end of the time, we were both still standing..... And she smiled at me and said "Well Done, you will live to fight again and serve the empire again"...... I was led back to the holding room and was told to be ready to fight again soon...... So I nursed my wounds and continued to train to be ready for the next encounter..... The hours turned to days, but my resolve was not shaken... and with each passing day I got more and more focused on what needed to be done..... Keep winning fights and soon I would be set free, given a job in the empires legions.......

Finally the day came for my second fight...... Many names were called this time.... 14 to be exact..... and we were led into yet another uncomfortable room not knowing which of these people was your foe, so my eyes danced across the group looking for threats to me, and which people would be more easily pushed aside.... At the word of the Herald, combat commenced..... Some people lunged to battle, others laid back to see what the competition was capable of..... I lunged forward, stopping a few of the lesser gladiators in short order..... but as fighting continued..... The herald kept changing the rules of combat, 1 on 1, 2 on 2, group vs. incoming hordes, Finally after nearly 75 minutes of fighting off every incoming attack..... only half of us were left standing..... congratulated by the herald for surviving this round of combat..... being led back into the tunnel we were greeted by the people who were waiting for their turn in the arena.... I walked back to the corner and sat down steadying myself for my last fight.... 1 more fight and I can freely walk in the sun..... donned in the armor of the empire, ready to fight any and all comers....

1 comment:

  1. Hahah what a great take on that interview process and congratulations on making it to round 3. I knew you would, I told you you would do great.! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete