Saturday, June 19, 2010

Days to Stew.... I think I am ready to eat.....

I have spent the last few days tearing my month within the Harrah's organization down and rebuilding it piece by piece trying to figure out what I did wrong to deserve being terminated with no reasoning just "Sorry you are the weakest link, goodbye." I honestly had more hope for Harrah's as a company after listening to a few of my friends sing the praises of the company.... I honestly took the job seriously even though it was only a peon position.... it was a foot in the door - a place to start.... and honestly that's all I wanted and needed..... but after the way my "separation" was handled, I honestly was left with a lot more questions than answers. Did I do something wrong, Did I speak out of line, Was I rude to a guest, Did I do something wrong on the actual back end of money handling or some compliance issue? It could have been 100 things or nothing..... but I continue to analyze it getting more and more angry with every passing examination.

Harrah's is a massive multi-billion dollar organization so I realize to them I was just a tiny blip on a computer screen somewhere - but they have forgotten the human element, they forget for every slot machine that makes them money there is 2 humans at a minimum that keep those reels spinning, for every bet made on a sporting event - there is a human writing that ticket, for every spin of the roulette wheel, hand of 21, or toss of the dice.... there is more and more humans that are involved in the wheel..... and you might wonder where I am going with this, in our "orientation" which was nothing more than a 3 day pep rally of where Harrah's is awesome - we had the line "Get Me, Guide Me, Root for Me" drilled into our heads - the internal company motto for departments. Honestly at the end of the day this is nothing more than a feel good farce, your are nothing at Harrah's - you are nothing more than a number on a computer who does some task that helps the behemoth along.... a little grease on a wheel that keeps that income flooding in. Basically, when it comes down to it at the end of the day, all I want to know is a one word question.... "Why?" I was given no reasoning as to why I was being let go, I was given no write ups, or verbal warnings over my short month with the company, my cash drawer was accurate within 2 bucks over the month.... so I am not sure what I did that was so flawed that signed my walking papers....

I called my recruiter that started me down this path of wasted time to begin with.... And I asked her the same question "Why?" Does this mean that I can never work for Harrah's again? Does this mean I wasn't a "fit" in the department? She had no answers either..... Not that I expected her to.... she is just another part in the machine.....

But sitting off to the side of the road watching the machine roll off into the sunset I miss it, I miss the hustle and bustle of post time, I miss explaining bets to people so they could better understand what we did, I miss having a place to go, something to do... I miss the yet again delayed plans that I had lined up to get accomplished this year.... But would I ever want another spot in the Harrah's machine..... Honestly if I am never given the answer to my simple question of "Why?", I don't think I would ever step back on the Harrah's express..... They pick people up and give them hope and them drop them on their face with not a clue as to what they have done to have gotten there..... But I guess that's another day in modern society, where personality means less and less, pride means less and less, a naturally competitive instinct means less and less - and all people want you to do is sit down, shut up, and take your spot with the masses, grinding away in the heat and dirt while someone reaps the rewards of your labor..... but I guess that's just life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment